Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's with the British... the case of the missing top sheet!

This particular "What's with the British" segment isn't a rant; it's not something that bothers me, just something I find puzzling, even though it's almost completely inconsequential. The British don't seem to believe in top sheets.

Let me explain. I'm used to what I now assume is the North American way of making a bed. You have a bottom sheet, with fitted corners. This is followed by a flat top sheet, then the blanket. This has several advantages, but the main two are that if it's hot, you can take the blanket off, but still have something over you in which to wrap yourself; additionally, the blanket stays cleaner and thus requires less washing, as it never really comes into contact with those who are sleeping in the bed. I realise you then need to wash the top sheet more, but it's a lot easier than wrestling with a duvet cover.

So why do the British omit this sheet, putting the blanket right on top of the bottom sheet? I have no idea. Maybe it's a cost saving thing, maybe it's because it rarely gets hot enough to only have a sheet rather than a blanket. I dunno. It's a puzzlement.

1 comment:

--- said...

We used to make our beds with a 'top sheet' and a blanket - but when duvet's came in in the 1960s/70s (?) they were seen as very fashionable (which you didn't want to spoil with the 'old fashioned' top sheet) etc.

The 'duvet' in the USA seems far thinner than ours here, however. Maybe it's just a New York Hotel/ Texas houses thing.